France bars far-right Israeli minister Ben-Gvir over alleged abuse of activists
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said Paris would not tolerate threats or intimidation targeting French nationals
France has banned Israel’s far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir from entering the country after footage emerged showing him mocking detained flotilla activists, sparking widespread international condemnation.
“As of today, Itamar Ben-Gvir is banned from entering French territory,” French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot announced on X on Saturday. He said the decision was taken following Ben-Gvir’s “reprehensible behaviour” towards French and European citizens aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla.
Ben-Gvir had shared footage on social media appearing to show activists kneeling blindfolded with their hands bound at Ashdod Port while he mocked them.
Israeli naval forces intercepted the flotilla in international waters near Cyprus earlier this week, detaining around 430 participants. Many were later released on Thursday.
The treatment of the activists drew criticism from several countries, including France, Italy, Spain, Canada, and the Netherlands, which summoned Israeli ambassadors and condemned what they described as unacceptable violations of human dignity.
Barrot said France could not accept its citizens being threatened, intimidated, or subjected to violence, particularly by a government official. He added that Ben-Gvir’s conduct followed “a long series of shocking statements and acts” inciting hatred and violence against Palestinians, and called on the European Union to impose sanctions against him.
Meanwhile, organisers of the Global Sumud Flotilla alleged that released activists reported multiple cases of sexual abuse during Israeli detention. According to a statement shared on Telegram, the allegations included humiliating strip searches, sexual harassment, groping, and rape.
The group claimed at least 12 assaults occurred aboard a vessel allegedly converted into a temporary detention centre, including accusations of anal rape and forced penetration with a handgun.
UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said the United Nations was “very concerned” by the allegations. However, Israel’s prison service denied all accusations, calling them “false and entirely without factual basis.” Independent verification of the claims has not been possible.
Sabrina Charik, who assisted in the return of 37 French citizens from the flotilla, told Reuters that several French participants were hospitalised in Turkiye with injuries including broken ribs and fractured vertebrae. She added that some had made detailed allegations of sexual violence, including rape.
Activists intercepted during previous Gaza-bound flotilla missions have also reported mistreatment, while organisers say Israeli authorities are increasingly using sanctions and allegations of Hamas links to justify crackdowns on solidarity campaigns.